Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 25

Thread: The 19's

  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member RonSSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    1,222
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

    Post

    Always interesting to take apart new Altec toys.

    I was surprised to find the speaker inputs on the bottom of the cab! What were they thinking? This is something I will change. I might even set them up for bi-wire. It's easy to do, but I have no idea if bi-wiring makes any difference.

    Also was surprised to see that the horn enclosure is open to the woofer enclosure. Sneaky way to add volume for the woof. But with only 2 bolts holding the top on, there is plenty of leakage....another port so to speak. Even ported enclosures need to be airtight except for the port. And with 2 bolts I'm surprised they don't rattle. I'm thinking a couple more bolts and maybe some sort of gasket would be worthwhile.

    The set I got were made in 1981 and therefore are filled with 416-8C and 902-8A's. I prefer the 902's anyway.
    The 800hz horns don't ring as bad as say the 511 does. I will still damp them with the old sand and paint method. Works very well. And it's dirt cheap.

    And of course the spindly wiring Altec always uses. I'm not into replacing it with anything exotic, but the "lead in" and woofer wires ought to be bigger.

    Now to just get them down the basement......

    Ron

  2. #2
    Inactive Member gearjammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 8th, 2002
    Posts
    96
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Watch the first step.

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member rghinton's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Posts
    149
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I damaged a new tile floor by sliding a pair of 19's into place before I installed the base. I did not know that the speaker terminals were on the bottom. ?????????????????????????????????

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member RonSSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    1,222
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

    Post

    I have these completely taken apart now.
    With the fiberglass out, I can see that there's only one diagonal brace across the rear panel. None on the sides.
    I plan to add another to the inside of the rear, to form an X. And I'll add diagonal braces to the sides inside as well.
    No sense letting the woofer "wiggle the box" as Jim Dickenson would say.
    I also plan to add more bolts holding the tops on. 2 just seems odd to me.
    Ron forums

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member RonSSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    1,222
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

    Post

    This just isn't a very chatty group is it? Lot's of folks read, but very few post. And some even log in but stay hidden??? I don't get that, you can read w/o logging in. Oh well.

    I added diagonal 2x2 braces to the inside on the sides of the model 19's. Gluded and screwed. Huge difference. Where a knuckle rap before created a bonk sound, they are now nice and dead. Probably not perfect by Stereophile standards, but much better than stock. I hope the rear panels respond as well.
    Onward through the fog.
    Is anyone interested in this stuff? If not, I'll shut up.
    Ron

  6. #6
    Inactive Member davewaibel's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 9th, 2005
    Posts
    5
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I am sure that they are just jealous of your new toys--come to think of it I didn't see too many posts from RonSS before the 19's came into your life, hmmm, maybe I have stumbled onto something. Can't wait to hear the new an improved 19's once you get them back together, because they sounded fine in my small *** apartment before. Now with new cones/voicecoils, improved bracing and the lack of a wasp nest sitting in front of the hf driver, I probably won't recognize them.

  7. #7
    Inactive Member cclark65's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 17th, 2003
    Posts
    339
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    yea, it's usually interesting to hear what people have done to make theirs sound better!

  8. #8
    Hostboard Member Tranquil's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 20th, 2005
    Posts
    69
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Maybe just maybe someone should do detailed measurements of the model 19 creating a DIY enclosure plan for the system and post it. This will generate lots of discussion and interest. If this has already been done please direct me to such plans. All the best seems like a great project.

  9. #9
    Senior Hostboard Member RonSSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    1,222
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

    Post

    Alrighty then, I'll post progress, but not every little detail. forums

    As far as detailed plans, I can do that. I was going to anyway, I haven't been able to locate any myself either.
    Do you know of any good drafting shareware?

    Ron

  10. #10
    Inactive Member Altec19's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 21st, 2003
    Posts
    306
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I think there might be some Model 19 blueprints around already. Maybe hold off just a bit to see if anyone comes forward. Unless, of course, you just gotta do it!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.